CourtEnglish

Six years in prison requested for two brothers accused of shooting at a driver in a car

Corte De Aruba

This morning the Court of Justice of Aruba heard the criminal case brought by the Public Prosecution Service of Aruba against the two brothers J.L. (24) and D.L. (20). They are accused of complicity in attempted murder, alternatively complicity in attempted manslaughter, and complicity in illegal possession of a firearm.

Although both brothers deny the accusations, the prosecutor considers them guilty and has demanded six years in prison for each of them.

Victim under strict security

The suspect in a separate threats case, Zuriel Celaire, was brought to court under strict security. Celaire was previously convicted for the murder of Sharuri, and after returning to Aruba last year he became involved in a serious threats case. In this case, however, he is considered the victim of the shooting.

Security measures were taken in court to prevent any incidents. Celaire was placed in a separate office with a translator and followed the hearing through video conference.

Two shots fired at the car

The prosecutor accuses the brothers of shooting at Celaire on September 18, 2025. The Public Prosecution Service considers this complicity in attempted murder, alternatively complicity in attempted manslaughter. They are also charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The judge questioned J.L. about his involvement. According to J.L., he had nothing to do with the incident and said he had gone to the doctor with his mother that morning. However, police later spoke with his mother, who said she had not gone to the doctor with him.

J.L. claimed that since his mother did not go with him, he went alone using a car. The judge asked why he had told the police otherwise. J.L. said he believed the police had misunderstood his statement.

The judge noted that police suspect J.L. of involvement based on video footage taken near the location of the shooting and near the house where he lives in San Nicolas.

The footage shows a white Nissan vehicle following the victim’s car. At one point the car drove alongside Celaire’s vehicle and from the passenger side a person with a covered face fired shots at the car.

Suspects deny involvement

J.L. maintains that he had nothing to do with the shooting. The judge stated that additional witness information also indicates that J.L. may have been involved. Initially J.L. claimed he did not know Celaire, but later admitted he recognized the name though not the person.

Security camera footage shows that about five minutes after the shooting, the white Nissan stopped in front of a house in San Nicolas and the driver walked toward a house. According to investigators, that person was J.L.

J.L. said he had borrowed the car from a friend, but refused to name the person because he did not want to get that person into trouble. However, a man identified as B. told police he had lent the white Nissan Versa to J.L.

The judge also noted that J.L. had earlier told police he returned the car on September 16, while the owner stated that the vehicle was returned on September 18 in the evening.

Video footage also shows J.L. and D.L. leaving a house in a Toyota shortly before the shooting. Gunshots were later heard near Cura Cabai.

Previous conflicts and statements

D.L. also denied involvement, saying he had taken his girlfriend to work and then returned home.

Police suspect him partly because the victim Celaire stated that he later heard that J.L. and D.L. were responsible for the shooting, though he refused to reveal the source of that information.

The judge also noted that D.L. had previously had a conflict with Celaire in April 2025, during which threatening messages were allegedly exchanged.

Another witness, known as “Zulu,” told police that D.L. had asked him whether Celaire believed he was responsible for the shooting. D.L. denied that conversation.

Brothers already have criminal records

The judge noted that both brothers have been in detention for nearly six months since the incident.

J.L. was previously convicted in 2020 for attempted manslaughter with a weapon and sentenced to five years in prison. In July 2025 he was released under 20 months of probation, and the current incident allegedly occurred during that probation period.

D.L. also has a previous conviction: 18 months in prison, six months suspended, for illegal possession of a firearm. His probation period was still active when the alleged shooting took place.

Prosecutor demands six years in prison

According to the prosecutor, the investigation began when Celaire reported to the police station in San Nicolas immediately after the shooting. He told police that at the intersection of Cura Cabai and Brazil Street, a car drove next to his vehicle and two shots were fired using a long firearm.

Two bullet impacts were found on the car, including one bullet that pierced the driver’s seat where Celaire had been sitting.

Investigators also found a bullet casing near a Chinese supermarket close to the intersection.

Surveillance footage later showed the white Nissan Versa following Celaire’s vehicle before the shooting. Shortly afterward, the car was seen arriving near the street where the brothers live, where J.L. and D.L. were seen exiting the vehicle and entering another car.

Investigators also discovered scratches inside the Nissan consistent with a long firearm.

Considering the seriousness of the charges and the fact that both suspects are repeat offenders, the prosecutor demanded six years in prison for each of the brothers.

The prosecutor also requested that a small amount of marijuana and a bag of marijuana found in the case be destroyed.

Court decision pending

At the end of the hearing, J.L. told the judge that he had heard nothing during the trial about alleged threats made by Zuriel Celaire against him and his family. D.L. also claimed he had received threats.

The judge stated that the court will study the case carefully.

A final verdict will be delivered on April 2, 2026

Related posts

Tiger Taekwondo Academy congratulates Aleysha Macea

EA News Author

Fundacion Zinnia Presents the New “Amigo Didi” Logo: A Symbol of Responsibility on the Road

EA News Author

House of Representatives Elections – 29 October 2025: Postal Voting Offices in Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten Closed

EA News Author

Leave a Comment

Whatsapp Message